the blues

calivintage: the blues

my first job in high school was at a local shop called ‘the blues.’ they sold antiques and vintage clothes, and they hired me to work in the back room selling said items on ebay. and if you couldn’t guess it by the name, they specialized in selling vintage jeans. like those crazy vintage big e levi’s that sell for $600 to fanatics in japan. and over 10 years later, i still always think of ‘the blues’ when i’m wearing denim. i hunted down this particular jacket after getting this plain white summer dress because it was sort of screaming to be paired with a denim jacket. a cropped one, to be precise. and they really are a match made in heaven, these two. it’s just the perfectly simple type of look that just feels so right. and of course, my swedish hasbeens and vintage tote seem to go with everything lately, which sorta feels like a blessing and a curse! i should really rotate some of my other shoes and handbags, but something about them keeps calling to me every morning when i get dressed! i guess that means it was a good investment!

dress: asos shirt dress
jacket: cheap monday cropped denim jacket
shoes: swedish hasbeens braided sky high
bag: vintage woven straw tote
sunglasses: karen walker number six
lipstick: ysl rouge pur couture in fuchsia

calivintage: the blues
calivintage: the blues
calivintage: the blues
calivintage: the blues
calivintage: the blues
calivintage: the blues
calivintage: the blues
calivintage: the blues

oh yeah, and my brother is still visiting us! i made him get in the shot and show off his outfit, too!

46 Responses to the blues

1. Shelby July 13, 2011 at 9:19 am #

what an interesting first job! def never heard of anyone who has done something like that! this outfit is also perfect, btw.

2. Meghan July 13, 2011 at 9:24 am #

supa cute! I just found a cropped denim (kids) thrift jacket that I can’t wait to wear!

<3Meghan

3. Nicole July 13, 2011 at 9:40 am #

That denim jacket really does go perfectly with that wonderful little white dress. Back when it was chilly enough out, I was pairing my denim jacket with all of my dresses :)

4. Jessie July 13, 2011 at 9:53 am #

you and your brother are too cute! what a stylish family :)

5. Jené DeSpain July 13, 2011 at 9:56 am #

Erin!
    I love these shoes! So cute, and they look very comfortable, which is a must for Summer. I’m really enjoying the shots including your brother too.
    Awesome. xx,
    jené

6. Mel July 13, 2011 at 10:22 am #

I agree, they are a match made in fashion heaven!! You look lovely! And these pics are too cute!!!

7. Bianca July 13, 2011 at 10:50 am #

your brother is my favorite co-blogger XD

8. Daisy July 13, 2011 at 10:51 am #

The jacket looks lovely with the dress ! Love the photos with you and your brother!

9. Lindsey N. July 13, 2011 at 10:54 am #

Love! Everything about this is adorable. This is the second vintage tote like this I’ve seen recently…I think I have to find one now!

The Bombshell Manifesto

10. lyndsey July 13, 2011 at 11:08 am #

You look so stunning, Erin! I love that white dress on you with the denim jacket! I need to find one that fits me better, mine have all gotten too big! (which is a good thing!) ;D
    lyndsey of hellolyndsey

11. Lindsey Turner July 13, 2011 at 11:13 am #

great classic look! love your shrunken denim jacket!

Lindsey Turner

12. Darlene July 13, 2011 at 11:34 am #

I love seeing you and your brother together!! I can definitely tell you two are BLOOD.

That straw tote is just a signature item for this summer. Work it, girl. :)

forte-espressivo.blogspot.com

13. herecomesthesunblog July 13, 2011 at 11:55 am #

You and your brother seem to have such a sweet relationship!

Also I know what you mean about rewearing items but if I had those sandals and that bag I’d be thrashing them too, they’re both so lovely!! The denim looks great on you too, I want a denim jacket with a darker wash like that, mine is quite pale.

14. Cait July 13, 2011 at 12:32 pm #

I must sound like a broken record but once again this outfit is perfect. So easy but so well styled!

Cait

15. Ginta July 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm #

so true – absolutely perfect combination! and I really love the photos!

16. Jamie Rose July 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

A perfect summer outfit! That white dress looks great with the denim jacket and I adore your shoes!

17. Joy July 13, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

This is is so nice and cute! And your brother is here again wheee.

18. Mallory | Storm in a Teacup July 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

That dress is so cute! I love it with that jacket. Working at the Blues sounds fun!

And your brother looks great too, I’m digging the shoes.

19. Nora July 13, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

you are my fav style blogga! your outfits are always simple and wonderful.

you’ve also got me jonesin’ for a pair of Swedish Hasbeens – are they comfortable?

• erin (calivintage) July 13, 2011 at 1:47 pm #

yay, thank you! i really like my swedish hasbeens, but i will say that if you’re used to shoes with support, these might not be the best option. it’s just a wood sole, so after a full day on my feet, my toes get pretty tired. but they’re comfortable for a day in the office for sure! i recommend this particular style as my absolute favorite in terms of fit and comfort!

20. Saige July 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm #

Such a cute outfit. I love pairing denim with a pretty, girly dress.
    And your shoes match so perfectly!

Love,
    Deer. Lady

21. DNA (designers+artists) July 13, 2011 at 2:07 pm #

Cool action shots! Thanks for the tips on the Hasbeens, they look so comfortable, so very good to know.

22. Isi July 13, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

I’d wear that look everyday. In fact, I often wear summer dresses with denim jacket. But, I don’t have a swedish hasbeens or similar…

23. Melis July 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

i love when you do posts with your brother. so cute! and i like the nod to the blues! redlands, yay! :)
    check out my blog and etsy!

24. Pink Penguin (Elyse) July 13, 2011 at 2:42 pm #

Another perfectly ‘erin’ outfit, I adore the navy hasbeens, although when pressed for choice I went with pink for myself :) Love the fun and joy in these photos, especially the one with your brother, so funny and sweet! <3

25. JB- Sunshine with everything July 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

Love this! It’s pretty much the perfect summer outfit! Your first job sounds really interesting. My high school jobs were a lot less interesting- baby sitting, a fruit/veg/flower shop and waitressing! x

26. Eva July 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

LOVE your blog!! It’s great!! Great style by the way, and I loved this post!! You purse is so pretty!! I have a yellow bag too, and I use it all the time :) Can’t wait to see more posts!

Hope you check out my blog!
    xoxo, Eva @ TheLaceFiles.blogspot.com

27. The Moptop July 13, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

I LOVE your dress.. so simple and cute. The first photo is adorable I might add :)
    Great outfit!

28. steffy July 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm #

sounds like such a cool first job. id work there now haha. love the hasbeens, i have a pair and cant get enough of em!

<3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

29. Cindy July 13, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

How much do you love your Swedish Hasbeens? I saw them in a magazine and had to get them and I LOVE THEM! So cute, they look good with everything.

xoxo
    Cindy

30. ToDDy July 13, 2011 at 11:04 pm #

congratulates on your first job at the vintage shop<3 and the cropped jacket really does work over the dress!!

31. Adiel July 13, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

This look just screams summer to me. Love it!

32. Kathleen Rhea Galeos July 13, 2011 at 11:57 pm #

you’re so cute, it’s adorable!! haha :)

33. Tess July 14, 2011 at 1:10 am #

I’ve been following your blog for a while and I totally heart your style. trying to read your previous posts , so far, I’m only at page 63. :p I mentioned you in my blog today. Hope you are ok with it.

34. Emelia Z. July 14, 2011 at 2:08 am #

You two are adorable. I wish my little brother had more fashion sense. He lives in “wife beater’s” and sweat pants. ~.~

35. Hannah July 14, 2011 at 3:22 am #

I like this – it sort of reminds me of the 90′s, I guess it’s the denim jacket. I think the plain white and collar keeps it cute :)

36. In elegance we trust July 14, 2011 at 4:02 am #

I love the outfit! The dress is so cute!

37. flower_chloe July 14, 2011 at 7:06 am #

What a fun job! Ha, for some (like me), selling on Ebay is just a hobby! That is so cooool to have been able to work in a real store selling as a job!

And I’m absolutely LOVING that dress and jacket! The first picture is SO RAD. :)

xoxoo
    chloe ** http://flowerponychloe.blogspot.com

38. Xavi July 14, 2011 at 7:59 am #

Me enamoran tus outfits. Precioso vestidín.
    muak

39. Ellen July 14, 2011 at 9:55 am #

I love this outfit post! And I absolutely love these Swedish Hasbeens. I’ve been working up the courage to spend the money on a pair of these beauties for a while now. How’s the fit? Do you find they run true to size? I’m in between sizes–a 7.5–so I’m just wondering.

40. rebekkah July 14, 2011 at 12:41 pm #

super cute and perfect for summer! love the blues with the white and the splash of yellow!! x x x x x

41. Jazper July 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Love this look so much! Obsessed

***And if you love vintage clothing at all, you should visit a new site that is launching today, Thrifted & Modern, which features one of the best collections of vintage to ever grace the Internet. See what we have in store, I promise you and your closet will not be disappointed!

42. hannah July 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

what a pair!

43. Sara July 15, 2011 at 5:10 pm #

I think your sunglasses and shoes definitely make this look! Cute pic with your brother!

44. Nickie Frye July 15, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Hey, how do you like your Hasbeens? I considered getting a pair, but was worried because they don’t have any sort of padding in the insole right? I ended up with a pair of Dansko’s. I posted them on my blog, actually. They are amazing! I love those Hasbeens though! Would you recommend them as comfortable?

1. Dos sílabas – Una palabra: Mi 2014 | Pepita Pancracia - January 15, 2014