my old man

calivintage: liberty

since i’ve been in redlands, i’ve been working from home and fighting off a nasty winter cold. it’s not super chilly here in southern california, but i guess my defenses were down in all of the holiday madness. i’ve been taking plenty of cold medicine to keep myself sane, though i fear that it’s been having the opposite effect! but this morning i was finally feeling a bit like myself again. and perhaps all of this staying indoors wearing sweatpants and slippers bundled up in front of the computer with a space heater at my feet got me in the mood to dress up in some office attire. when i pulled this look together, i commented that perhaps i looked a bit like someone’s dad arriving home after a day of work with his sleeves rolled up getting ready for a beer.

it was funny that i said such a thing because as we were snapping these photos my dad rolled up on his bike. he is decidedly not the office type. he rode right up to me and my brother complete with his made in the u.s.a new balances, an old man cardigan, and a box bungeed to the rack of his bike with some cookies in a gift bag as a birthday gift to my brother. yep, that’s my dad. his hobbies include collecting records, playing guitar, and flipping vintage bikes on craigslist. he’s a pretty cool dude.

top: j.crew silk crepe blouse
tie: vintage liberty of london tie
skirt: family affairs jackson skirt
shoes: vintage mary janes
bag: j.w. hulme mini legacy bag
lipstick: ysl fard a levres rouge pur in rosy coral
watch: michael kors tortoise watch
rings: paper & chain vega rings

my friend nina, the designer for family affairs, is offering a holiday treat! you can get this skirt for 30% off today only!

calivintage: libertycalivintage: liberty
calivintage: liberty
calivintage: liberty
calivintage: liberty
calivintage: liberty

35 Responses to my old man

1. niceday4asulk December 23, 2011 at 9:09 am #

What a lovely post, your dad seems like a very cool dude indeed.
    I adore your watch!!
    Gaelle from wet London
    :-)

2. Liz December 23, 2011 at 9:22 am #

omg this is too cute! i have to say i love when you do posts with cameos by your family. i love that last picture!

3. Samira December 23, 2011 at 9:38 am #

I ADORE YOUR OUTFIT!!!!

4. Cortnie December 23, 2011 at 9:38 am #

That’s awesome – your dad sounds super cool. Love that pic of you two! And the skirt, watch, everything is spot on as usual!
    Merry Christmas!

cortnie

5. Dom December 23, 2011 at 9:45 am #

Cool outfit. It would totally work for the office or a nice causal/dressy day out. The last photo of you and your dad is so cute.

6. mariebayarea December 23, 2011 at 9:56 am #

This is too cute. I die! You and your dad ROCK

7. Ellie Pretty Much Penniless December 23, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Oh wow! Your dad looks/sounds amazing!

Have a wonderful holiday lady :D x

8. Emilee December 23, 2011 at 11:11 am #

LOVE THIS

9. Jo - Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog December 23, 2011 at 11:41 am #

Your blouse is so pretty! I love the idea of a floral tie too! So gorgeous!

x
    Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

10. Vanessa December 23, 2011 at 11:44 am #

I like your dad :) Awesome guy. Happy Christmas!

11. Jade Sheldon December 23, 2011 at 12:31 pm #

Aww, you and your dad look so darling together!

12. STEFANIE December 23, 2011 at 3:42 pm #

love the rings :) get well soon!

13. Annalise Furman December 23, 2011 at 6:03 pm #

Awww…I love these photos. You look totally cute and your dad is adorable. Love that floral tie!
    XOXO

14. Aliya December 23, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

I am in love with your tie!!
    Merry Christmas!

x Aliya

15. Marie December 23, 2011 at 8:09 pm #

Hi, Dad! Love this outfit and dad post!

16. Rachel W. December 24, 2011 at 2:54 am #

your dad is adorable, and yes, i find myself drawn to the tired working-man’s attire myself lately.

17. jodi December 24, 2011 at 5:46 am #

I LOVE that outfit…and your dad! AH! What a great photo of you guys. :) Happy Holidays, I hope you feel better soon!

18. Rouma Sakamoto December 24, 2011 at 6:09 am #

Always charming. Is the best dresser.

19. Ashley December 24, 2011 at 8:45 am #

Adorable! Especially that pic with your dad. And I love that watch!

20. monkeyshines December 25, 2011 at 6:03 am #

lovely retro floral!

Bises,
    monkeyshines

21. franca maisha December 25, 2011 at 10:41 am #

such a beautiful post! love the skirt on you :)

22. Vanessa December 26, 2011 at 5:14 am #

You look so cute!!! Happy holidays!

Vanessa

23. nik December 26, 2011 at 6:34 am #

Hello! I just found your blog and I think it’s AMAZING! The pics are great and I can see that You really like what you do here! I love people with great ideas, like you!
    Your blog is inspiring! I will follow you!
    Xoxo
    Merry Christmas!

24. Mandi December 26, 2011 at 11:03 am #

Ah! Erin! The tucked in tie is so cute. This outfit kind of reminds me of something 1930s inspired. Your dad seems fun. :)

25. Malia December 26, 2011 at 11:30 am #

I absolutely love that outfit! The best part is, of course, the last photo of you and your dad. So sweet. :)

26. Christina December 26, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

Love that outfit!

27. Kelly Ly December 26, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

i love that watch! great outfit!

28. Monique December 27, 2011 at 4:08 pm #

certainly a favorite of all your outfits this year. the tie just brings everything together so perfectly.

29. Katie from ZombieLace December 28, 2011 at 7:07 am #

Haha your dad seems like the coolest. And you make a super cute little gender bender office dad here too :D

30. Mallory | Storm in a Teacup December 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Haha, your dad seems a lot like mine, but more beardly.:p
    I love the idea of tucking in a tie to a high waisted skirt – so creative! worked out really well, too.

31. Sade Strehlke December 31, 2011 at 2:51 am #

I like how you mashed vintage ladylike with modern pieces.

32. Jennifer January 3, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

Your dad sounds awesome :) I love your tie!

33. paige January 10, 2012 at 11:46 am #

erin, this is gorgeous. i’m always looking for feminine menswear inspired looks. thanks for the inspiration! will be trying my own version, soon.

34. amanda April 7, 2012 at 12:27 pm #

i am absolutely in love with this look!

35. Roni September 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

OMG! I am so in love with this outfit! You have inspired me to try and recreate this (eventually – I don’t have an awesome lady tie like this yet!). And your dad is so adorable. I have spent the last hour or something looking over your blog and I have NO idea why I had not found you sooner! I am in love! And I have to be honest, your cool factor went up just that much more when I read that you’re Mexican and you love menudo, tamales and mole. There’s not too many Mexican bloggers, haha so I felt immediately like, “Eeee! She’s like me!” Do you like lucas and tamarindo candies, too?? Ooh and hot cheetos and big red (the big red soda might actually be a Texas thing)??? I could go on. :) I loved seeing all your family pictures, too. Your grandparents and mommy are all such beautiful, happy looking people. They remind me a lot of my family when I go home for visits. Mexican families are so incredibly close…and we love our food! My husband actually commented on that when he first met my family. He had never seen a WHOLE family get together at grandpa’s just for a dinner or do so much together like we did. He really loves that he’s apart of the family…and he LOVES barbacoa tacos (lol), but menudo not so much. You’re right, it’s definitely an acquired taste but I just can’t get enough of it! Menudo, mole (with peanut butter), and arroz con pollo are my favorite Mexican dishes. Anywho, I could go on forever with this, really, but I’ll just stop now. Glad I found your blog, Erin! You are adorable and amazingly stylish! Plus, you’re just super lucky that you get to be employed by ModCloth. I’ve been a going-debit-card-crazy customer with them since ’09 and I’m still so in love with their company. It must be a dream job!
    Have a great weekend!