paisley days

calivintage: paisley days

woke up bright and early on saturday to attend the modacademy workshop, a seminar for college students and recent grads interested in the fashion industry put on by my work. i spoke on a panel about emerging social media with angela tafoya, the refinery29 san francisco editor, and eugenia chien, the blogger relations manager at polyvore. i tend to be pretty shy in real life, so i was a bit nervous about speaking to a crowd of people, but once we started talking, i actually had a lot of fun offering up advice on navigating this strange world of fashion meets tech. it also gave me flashbacks to my previous career, a two-year stint as a 5th grade educator, teaching classes like art, comic book writing, and journalism to 10-year-olds as part of an extracurricular program at a charter school, offering a college prep opportunity for students who wouldn’t have the opportunity otherwise. there are some obvious differences between the two, but both offered me an chance to not only overcome my shyness, but to also have a chance to make a positive impact on people’s lives. it was really fun, and i hope to do something like it again!

then on sunday, i ended up in petaluma again! this time, we wandered around the historic downtown to check out antique shops in search of silly cat figurines, first edition books, and vintage clothes. the weather was downright hot, but i kept cool sipping on ponche from sol food, this heavenly puerto rican restaurant in san rafael where we stopped for lunch on the way out. i’ve talked about this place before, but it’s worth mentioning again. i ate the camarones empanizados, prawns breaded in plantains and fried to perfection. then washed the whole thing down with ponche, a sweet mix of iced tea and limeade. i’m not much of a foodie, but i highly recommend this place!

dress: summer of love green paisley print dress courtesy of lulu’s
shoes: swedish hasbeens super high peep toe
sunglasses: karen walker von trapp
bag: metal corner clutch courtesy of rebecca minkoff
lipstick: nars shchiap

calivintage: paisley days
calivintage: paisley days
calivintage: paisley days
calivintage: paisley days
calivintage: paisley days
calivintage: paisley days

44 Responses to paisley days

1. Anastasia July 30, 2012 at 9:33 am #

Love love love the colour!!!!

2. PeaSoup July 30, 2012 at 9:35 am #

Beautiful! You wear everything with such ease.

3. Katie-Louise Ford July 30, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Petaluma was one of my very favourite places in California. I had the best peanut butter pie there, in 3 months I still haven’t found anything that even comes close! l also stumbled across the most amazing thrift store that was selling dresses from the 20s-40s for like 20 bucks each…. Crazy! You’re looking lovely as usual, such a great dress <3 x

4. Sweet Harvest Moon July 30, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Beautiful dress!

5. Megan July 30, 2012 at 9:56 am #

That is a gorgeous outfit.

6. Georgina Lowen July 30, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Loving the look and I love the bag!

Georgie
    xx

7. Carla July 30, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Love your dress!!!

8. Cortnie July 30, 2012 at 10:05 am #

Good job on speaking at the event – I have major public speaking anxiety so I’m impressed!
    I love the back of the dress – so cute!
    Sol Food sounds really good – have to check it out one day.

cortnie

• erin (calivintage) July 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

thank you! public speaking is definitely one of the more anxiety inducing activities… but it’s also really rewarding to be able to overcome fears and try new things!

9. Fay Heather July 30, 2012 at 10:06 am #

I love your outfit!
    The colors are perfect ♥

10. Samira July 30, 2012 at 10:09 am #

love this look!! you have the best hair!!!

11. Alisia July 30, 2012 at 10:17 am #

the dress is gorgeous and the colors compliment you soooo well!!

xx, alisia e

12. Fabiola "Fab" July 30, 2012 at 10:32 am #

All I can say is wow wow and wow! Love this outfit!

13. Jennifer July 30, 2012 at 10:57 am #

Wow, that sounds like an amazing workshop!
    Love your tattoos!

14. Meghan July 30, 2012 at 11:07 am #

that dress is super magical, ya look great, doll! <3

15. Jennifer July 30, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Cool! I’d love to read a quick recap of the seminar if you’re able to share! Cute outfit too!

• erin (calivintage) July 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

i think we’re going to be posting a recap on the modcloth blog this coming friday. i’ll link to it when it goes live!

it was a pretty fun experience both speaking and listening the rest of the panelists speak. it’s always nice getting insight into different careers, and to hear advice from successful people. very inspiring!

16. Elanor July 30, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Yay! You are in my neck of the woods! I love going up to Petaluma. :) I live in Novato, so there isn’t much of a pretty downtown to run around through… but Petaluma is only a short 10 minutes away!

& Sol Food is delicious! Your paisley dress looks perfect for a hot day.
    xx

17. Jenn July 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Your hair is getting so long! I tried growing my hair out but couldn’t wait any longer so i chopped it all off! My hair now looks like yours when you had it really short. Anyway, I totally love the casual feel of this look! Paisleys rule!

18. monkeyshines July 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

love the bag!

Bises,
    monkeyshines

19. PATRICIA July 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

IT’S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I HAVEN’T VISITED YOUR BLOG AND YOUR HAIR IS SO LONG NOW!!!! LOVE THE BAG, THE COLOR IS GREAT!!! SO LUCKY TO BE PART OF THIS WORKSHOP CONGRATS!!!!

20. Victoria / Justice Pirate July 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

That’s so interesting! Didn’t know you taught in the past. I never heard of comic book classes, but think that is awesome that some schools have it offered!!!!!! haha. I used to draw anime and manga in the mid to late 90s (I watched a lot of subtitled shows that I bought from the store that weren’t on TV here) but I hate drawing now for some reason. Weird that it took up so much of my time back then and now I rarely try my hand at it.

I adore the colors in this outfit and think that it is cool that your shoes match your yellow in your dress.

• erin (calivintage) July 30, 2012 at 2:45 pm #

yeah, it’s crazy to imagine that i ever taught kids, but it was something that i wanted to try out. in the end, i just don’t think i have the patience it takes to work with children, but it was a really rewarding experience to be able to impact their lives in a small way. the comic book class was especially useful for kids who were having a hard time with reading and writing. it was more accessible for them, and the illustrations also helped them to comprehend the written word. and of course, when they wrote their own stories, they got to express their creative side by drawing, too.

you should pick it up again! i myself have been meaning to dabble in a bit of art lately!

21. Jessica July 30, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Ohlala you look gorgeous!

22. Emma July 30, 2012 at 1:14 pm #

That dress is beautiful – and look how long your hair is getting! Are you growing it long? I love that grown-out-bob length – its what i’m currently trying to achieve.

modacademy sounds great – i wish we had things like that in the uk. I would love to work for modcloth if only i lived in san fran! my job sounds quite similar to yours – i write the blog and the content for a british website called flannelsfashion, but i would love to write for a young, fun company!

xx

• erin (calivintage) July 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

thank you! i didn’t set out to grow my hair long, but now that it’s gotten this far, i’m tempted to let it keep going. i think it would be nice to grow just a tad bit more so i can try some updos!

23. Sarah July 30, 2012 at 2:28 pm #

You can never go wrong with a paisley print! I love the colour of your bag too- it’s so pretty!

24. Gwyneth July 30, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

I love these colours together!

It sounds like you had a really great weekend!

Gwyneth xo

25. Leah July 30, 2012 at 5:01 pm #

All of these bright colors look fantastic on your skin!

26. Joanne July 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm #

Oh I just love the print on this dress and it really suits you. The yellow sandals are super cute too, you look great :)

Jo. x

27. joy July 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm #

you look amazing. love the print.

28. Karen A. July 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Your outfits are always so awesome! Inspiration!

29. nataliya July 31, 2012 at 6:55 am #

really love the cut os the dress! and the big paisley print and colors!!!! adorable!

nataliya
    sewniice.blogspot.com

30. Cari July 31, 2012 at 8:57 am #

You look lovely Erin! Love that little dress on you. You totally know how to work mini dresses. I wish I could have been at the modacademy workshop – would have been so lovely to hear your advice. It’s so cool that you help young people the way you do.

31. Story Tellers Vintage July 31, 2012 at 11:03 am #

So lovely and the bag matches perfectly!

32. Chaucee July 31, 2012 at 2:02 pm #

I love the cutout in the back of the dress.
    And your hair is getting long!!

33. Berty Morales July 31, 2012 at 3:26 pm #

In love with your dress and you look amazing…xoxoxo

34. maria July 31, 2012 at 7:44 pm #

love this outfit on you! those shoes are so cute :)

35. irene wibowo August 3, 2012 at 7:54 am #

i love the shoes and the dress is pretty. :) Irene Wibowo

36. Amy August 6, 2012 at 10:54 pm #

love those shoes! great outfit!

37. Constance August 7, 2012 at 12:42 am #

I’m just discovering your blog and I love it so much!

38. Hannah August 7, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

Love the dress & I’m in love with that bag!!
    -Hannah

39. Jillian August 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Love this outfit !!
    Jillian Xenia photo

1. Lulus.com Fashion Blog - October 16, 2012

[...] styled our Motel Becka Black and White Tropical Print Skirt. California favorite, Erin from Calivintage rocking some sweet LuLu*s pieces. On the left, our Dots Amore sweater and on the right our   [...]