plaid pinafore

i think i’ve mentioned this before, but here’s a little history for you: i went to catholic school from kindergarten through eighth grade and was required to wear a little plaid uniform to school every day. we had “free dress” days one friday per month, but the rest of the time was spent in white button up shirts and a few variations of that same tartan plaid. for this reason, i spent quite a few years of my life avoiding anything plaid due to the association with those long, boring days in grade school being forced to copy pages out of the bible if i was caught talking in class. then in college, people would host catholic school girl parties and all of the girls would dress up in sexy uniforms, causing me to shudder at the memory of my pre-teen self running around with my skirt hiked up to here…

but now as an adult, i almost look at these little pinafore combinations with a certain fondness and nostalgia. so much of what i wear is drawn from references to the past, usually from movies or old magazines, but even from my own personal history. i always carry a jute tote bag in the summertime remembering the one my mother used to wear when i was a child. and i pull on silly pinafores with knee socks and mary janes imagining i’m an extra on the set of one of my favorite 1960s films. but there’s still always that cheeky little hint at that girl i used to be. a culmination of everything i once was and still aspire to be.

wearing: baker street chic jumper from modcloth, equipment silk brett blouse, modcloth scarf, orla kiely gold holly bag, ysl rouge pur couture lipstick in le rouge. or check out my collage on polyvore to see to see another way to style this pinafore.

22 Responses to plaid pinafore

1. Samira October 29, 2012 at 9:29 am #

I wore a uniform too and I remember i used to hate it and now I wished i had liked it more back then because they were actually very cute

2. Rachelle October 29, 2012 at 10:08 am #

I went to an all girl catholic school as well for 13 years. I do not miss that uniform lol. You look adorable.
    Rachelle

• erin (calivintage) October 29, 2012 at 10:10 am #

haha, yes, i don’t think i will ever be able to wear my school’s plaid ever again in my life. i would feel like i was suddenly going back to grade school!

3. Liz October 29, 2012 at 11:04 am #

love the 60s look

4. Victoria / Justice Pirate October 29, 2012 at 11:13 am #

Not many people are nostalgic about Catholic school uniforms, from what I hear. I used to want a school uniform when I was about 16, but I was glad that I was able to have the freedom to wear what I wanted to wear at school. You look beautiful in all your outfits and this is darling.

• erin (calivintage) October 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm #

yes, it’s true. i really hated my uniform all through school, and could never ever wear that same plaid, but nowadays i do really like both the concept of uniforms in general, and i can’t resist a good pinafore. i never thought i would, but here i am, haha!

5. Jull Diaz October 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm #

nice color mustard!
    I love the autumn style :)
    kisses!

6. Suzanne October 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

I love the scarf tied in a bow.

Bisous
    Suzanne

7. Meghan October 29, 2012 at 3:34 pm #

I adore this outfit! It’s funny, i used to wish for school uniforms as a kid, as if it would “do away’ with what I used to think of as a dilemma-getting dressed for school. Now as an adult, every day is like a day to dress up!

8. Marie October 29, 2012 at 4:23 pm #

Just adore that yellow bow with the more sedate plaid,

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

9. Leah October 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

love the stripes and plaid together! so perfect.

10. Kathleen Ensign October 29, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

Ah! I went to catholic school too! Ugh I can totally relate! Free dress days were your days to represent!

11. Maria October 30, 2012 at 3:51 am #

I could totally relate to this post. I studied in a catholic school though I love our uniform during the first few years, it’s a white button down,puff long sleeved with a scallop collar paired with a navy blue & white gingham a-line skirt. I outgrow my love for our uniform and just like you, I avoided every puff sleeve / scallop blouse that I encounter. haha :) Now I’m starting to love them again. BTW, you look lovely as always. I wish I can go to US and meet you. You are such an inspiration.

Love,

Maria

12. Laura October 30, 2012 at 6:21 am #

I love pretty much everything about this outfit, the coulours and everything!

13. Elizabeth @ Rosalilium October 30, 2012 at 3:11 pm #

In the UK it is pretty much standard practice to wear a school uniform. I used to watch US teen dramas and wish we could wear our own outfits to school. But I guess my family would not have taken too kindly to my ‘need’ for extra clothes.

That being said, I love a bit of plaid. And a cute pinnafore dress is always a winner for me.

14. Jennifer October 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm #

I went to Catholic school too and I have a weak spot for plaid jumpers now lol

15. Kelli Murray October 31, 2012 at 1:16 am #

It suits you well :) Such a great fall jumper.

16. LOLA ROSE October 31, 2012 at 5:31 am #

LOVE it!! i love the plaid mini!!

17. Pilar Almalé October 31, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

You look so beautiful! :)
    Hope you could check my blog!

xo,
    Pili.

18. Jazper October 31, 2012 at 3:04 pm #

We are lovin’ your vintage style!

19. Richard free May 16, 2013 at 12:32 pm #

Pinafore was by pop boutique from the uk and looks super cute on Cali vintage girl!!!!

1. Chambray All Day | Denim and Stripes - September 20, 2013

[...] which is good, we’ve been really busy. Anyway, I’ll leave you with my jump pose à la Calivintage…definitely gotta work on that. Have a great weekend! Outfit details: dress and belt: Gap [...]