summer’s end

calivintage: muted hues

ahh, it feels good to be almost back to my normal routine. this weekend, i stayed close to home for some much-needed house cleaning and spent a good several hours clearing out the closet and sweeping up the dust that had been collecting in all the little corners of my apartment. and on sunday, i even made the trip over to berkeley bowl, a very fancy natural foods store nearby, to stock-up the cupboards. i usually avoid going there because it’s always so crowded and you have to defensively navigate the aisles avoiding shopping cart collisions, or waiting impatiently for traffic jams to clear. but the summer is coming to an end, and i’m finding myself on a bit of a health kick after feasting for months on too much bbq and boozy drinks.

i also decided to clear out my color palette a bit for my last guest post over at the dahlia uk blog. this is my third look for them, styled around this darling green pinafore. i usually wear a lot of navy blue, so i decided to challenge myself a little and  try something new. to me, these muted tones represent these early fall months that feel a bit more like summer here in the bay area, but still hint at the shorter days and soft light that fills the sky in the evenings.

wearing: maisy pinafore dress courtesy of dahlia uk, j.crew silk blouse, vintage t-straps from pretty penny vintage, dooney & bourke medium flower bucket bag on sale at marshalls, ysl fard a levres rouge pur in rosy coral

calivintage: muted hues
calivintage: muted hues
calivintage: muted hues
calivintage: muted hues
calivintage: muted hues
calivintage: muted hues

43 Responses to summer’s end

1. Meghan September 24, 2012 at 9:32 am #

love this post, the photos are so fun and I love the dress and bag combo!

♫ Meghan, The Flight of Fancy

2. Adrina September 24, 2012 at 9:35 am #

cute outfit!

3. Coury September 24, 2012 at 9:36 am #

Erin, I LOOOOOOOOVE this outfit…you look amazing. :)

4. mary September 24, 2012 at 9:43 am #

I love this. I’m obsessing over pinafores. This one is so cute!

5. Liz September 24, 2012 at 10:00 am #

You are the cutest!

6. Christina September 24, 2012 at 10:35 am #

That pinafore is so cute! And so is your top knot :)

Christina

7. daria September 24, 2012 at 10:36 am #

ain’t that an adorable pinafore! I love those bows and the color is super fresh.

8. kelsey September 24, 2012 at 10:47 am #

gorgeous, as usual! loving the light in this post.
    kw, Ladies in Navy

9. emily September 24, 2012 at 11:04 am #

the little bows are really what make it!

10. Lola September 24, 2012 at 11:08 am #

That dress is sweet, I love it, x

11. Charlotte September 24, 2012 at 11:27 am #

what a lovely look! :)

12. Sarah September 24, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Love both the muted tones in the outfit as well as the fabulous light in the photos! You captured summer transitioning into fall so well :)

And I know what you mean about Berkeley Bowl feeling like a roller derby. I usually go to Rainbow Co-Op in SF, and there’s a similar feel. You’d think healthy people would be patient and calm, but no…

• erin (calivintage) September 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

haha, so true! people always defensively stand in front of the selection so you have to wait until they are done, or else they crash right into your with their carts and claim they didn’t see you there… i know it seems so odd, but it’s the environment is far less polite than my experience in other grocery stores. i also always find myself completely disoriented by the vast selection. it’s awesome, but terribly stressful for such a mundane activity!

13. Jennifer September 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

This is such a pretty dress! I love the soft pastels :)

14. Fabiola "Fab" September 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Beautiful color combination and outfit!

15. Gracie September 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm #

Perfectly you!

• erin (calivintage) September 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm #

thank you! i have to agree that i felt very good and very myself in this outfit. as much as i like to play around with different styles, there are always certain looks that just feel right!

16. kristin September 24, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

the pinafore looks so so good with that blouse! awesome!

17. Rachael // The Paraders September 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm #

Oh man. Crowded grocery stores are my worst nightmare!!

Rachael
    THE PARADERS VINTAGE

18. Helen September 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm #

What a lovely outfit! Particularly like the bow detail!

• erin (calivintage) September 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

why, thank you! i was actually a little hesitant about the bows at first, but once i got it, they seemed to add just the right touch!

19. Bianca September 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

I’m actually slowly becoming obsessed with muted colors, and getting rid of most of my brighty Mcbright brights! I’m in love with your top not, you’re such a cutie! Its so hard to say goodbye to your short hair tho :’)

• erin (calivintage) September 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm #

hehe, i am slowly learning how to add more of those bright colors to my wardrobe. i like colors (muted, bright, whatevs), but somehow i always end up with these really simple, mostly navy-based outfits for some reason.

also, i’m pretty sure i’m gonna cut it back to the bob in a couple of months. i just want to be able to wear heidi braids, which i think i’ll be able to achieve in a month or so. once i’ve got that out of my system, i think i’m gonna go back. this might sound silly, but i just feel so ‘normal’ and femme with longer hair and it just doesn’t feel quite right. i like it but i think i prefer a look that’s a bit more bold, you know?

20. Kailey September 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm #

The colors in these pictures are breathtakingly beautiful! Gorgeous look <3

21. Mitzi Cocoa September 24, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

I looooove this! Classic perfection! The muted green of that pinafore is perfect.

22. Leah September 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm #

Love the airiness of these colors together.

23. Ally September 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm #

I adore the mint, so gorgeous x

24. joy September 24, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

you look awesome! must be hard not wear something navy. navy’s my go to colour too.

25. Ashley September 24, 2012 at 9:51 pm #

I just had to comment here and say that the photo of you smiling kills me! You have a beautiful smile, so sweet and genuine :)

26. Amelia September 24, 2012 at 11:02 pm #

I LOVE THIS. Such great shoes! And I love those shades together, the pink and green. Ahhhh.

27. Emma September 25, 2012 at 3:20 am #

You look so pretty in this post, made me smile. What a great colour on you and I’m loving your hair, love, love, love xx

28. izzy September 25, 2012 at 5:32 am #

These colors are so pretty together, you look stunning :)

29. Dom September 25, 2012 at 7:23 am #

Oh me, oh my! You look so adorable! I’m loving the pastel colors and the bow detail on the pinafore. This could totally work as a Spring outfit as well!

30. Naomi A September 25, 2012 at 8:43 am #

I love it! It’s like a pistachio and vanilla sundae! I love the bows details on the dress a lot!

31. Ron McQuade September 25, 2012 at 9:04 am #

Lovely, just lovely! The pinafore is wonderful, the tiny little bows kill me, and I love all the colours of your outfit. You’ve captured that soft autumn light perfectly. (I also adore your shoes, t-bars are the best thing ever.)
    I agree about having to push oneself to not fall back on ‘safe’ colours. Navy is such an easy colour to choose every day of autumn.

32. courtney September 25, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

I love this post :)
    is the pinafore old stock… or will it be hitting stores soon ;)

33. Anna September 25, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

I totally agree with everyone: your smile is stunning and that outfit is the bee’s knees!

34. Jessi September 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm #

I just found your beautiful blog and I’m a bit obsessed. Loving this look! The neutral with neon and the cute girly dress…it’s just perfect. Great style girl!

-Jessi

35. Jamie Rose September 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

You’re just so cute! I absolutely love this outfit. Your green pinafore dress is fantastic. That color is really gorgeous on you.

36. jess (jamesjake) September 27, 2012 at 10:06 am #

pinafores! I heart pinafores!

37. Chestnut Mocha September 28, 2012 at 11:06 am #

gorgeous colors! i just found your blog and i’m in love. great job!

1. Yo, Autumn, Summer called! « KITTENHOOD - October 2, 2012

[...] …it wants its temperatures back! It’s officially that time of the year when you don’t want to let go of summer, so you take advantage of sundresses and sandals as much as you can, but you also kind of want to layer and wear ankle booties and tights. The shops are already full of them! I can’t remember the last time we had such amazing weather in October (maybe when I was in my first year in Cluj, back in 2004?) and I can’t complain about it. Please note that I try to stay away from blog posts about the weather as much as possible, but sometimes it’s so difficult to resist! About the outfit, I was actually wondering how I’m gonna wear this dress when it’s not full on summer, because it has a cutout at the back. Now I know the answer: with a sheer shirt underneath. I think it’s very Calivintage. [...]