behind the scenes at rachel antonoff spring 2012

calivintage: rachel antonoff spring 2012

i know that pretty much anything i write about during nyfw is probably going to be one of my favorites, but i can’t describe how fun and exciting it was to go behind the scenes at rachel antonoff’s spring 2012 presentation. i have gone to her last two shows, and have found them to be the most creative presentations at fashion week, hands down. so when i managed to arrange for photo and video coverage behind the scenes, i was over the moon.

we arrived as the models were getting their hair and makeup done, a la wednesday adams complete with pigtail pleats and smoky eyes. i interviewed the hair and makeup artists from cutler and mac to get the lowdown on the concept before meeting the lovely tennessee thomas, who was djing the event. then we had a chance meeting with mr. wendy, the adorable cat who has been a model in every one of her shows before meeting up with rachel antonoff herself. she even invited her adorable grandparents to see the collection! it was a wonderful time that i will not soon forget and it was a pleasure to be able to work on the video  with the totally awesome jon brown, and to share my coverage with you here and on the modcloth blog (scroll down to watch)!

all photos were taken by me.

22 Responses to behind the scenes at rachel antonoff spring 2012

1. Jennifer September 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm #

Thanks for sharing the video! I love behind the scenes stuff like this. It was great getting to hear about Rachel’s inspiration, too.

2. Annika September 13, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

wow, this is so inspirational! Loved everything! The clothes, the décor, the braids. Lovely!

3. Daisy: prettygreentea September 13, 2011 at 1:32 pm #

Oh my gosh, how exciting !! I am very taken by all these beautiful shoes and sheer materials !

4. Mallory | Storm in a Teacup September 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

Oh, these are so great! I’m not too crazy about the pigtail braids, but other than that these looks are fab!

5. sara September 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

It is all so stunning and I loved watching the video on Modcloth’s Blog!! I really love the short-haired girl’s hair in piggy tails too!!

I am absolutely smitten with Mr. Wendy and the story behind his name :) Great coverage, Erin-love!

6. Amanda H September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm #

wow. my favorite detail is of the black skirt with the black and white triangles pockets. the set design is interesting too- almost eerily playful

7. Ilana September 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm #

amazing new looks for Rachel loving the adorable polka dots and soft lines with peter pan collars!
    I really want to get some Bass by Rachel Antonoff shoes!
    XX Ilana

8. Hazel Lou Anna September 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm #

I absolutely LOVE this! Inspirational to say the least…

9. Mademoiselle Michelle September 13, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

cute! cute! cute!!!

10. chloe September 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

I love all of their outfits! Such a cute photo shoot! Thanks for sharing!

Xo Chloe.

11. thea September 13, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

this inspires me like crazy!

12. steffy September 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

i saw the video on the modcloth blog and the pictures are equally as dazzling. i LOVE this collection. wish i could have seen it live!!

<3 steffy
    Steffys Pros and Cons

13. Christina September 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

oooooh, looks like another Bass collab I’m going to have to snag!

14. Sherrie September 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Wish my hair were long enough for super cute pig tail braids

xo Sherrie
    Closet Hound

15. christi September 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

These are so freaking cute!! Your photos are always so crisp, i love it.
    sleepydarlings.blogspot.com

16. Marina September 15, 2011 at 6:14 am #

Lovely photos!! I could look at these all day!

17. mandy September 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Stunning props and backdrops! So unique!

18. Kayla September 20, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

wow!! So adorable!

1. Hayley Williams Interviews Rachel Antonoff At NYC Fashion Week | Alt Rock Shop - September 15, 2011

[...] out Antonoff’s collection here and the full interview [...]

2. Miss Moss : These Things No.23 - September 17, 2011

[...] behind the scenes at rachel antonoff spring 2012 by calivintage. [...]

3. rachel antonoff spring 2012 lookbook by calivintage - March 29, 2012

[...] 2012 presentation during new york fashion week (though if you don’t, i highly recommend you check it out because it was my favorite presentation of the season!) after patiently waiting for the spring [...]

4. rachel antonoff channels “childhood spooky.” « an oyster supper. - March 30, 2012

[...] ran across this video of Rachel Antonoff’s spring/summer collection on calivintage and was delightfully taken by the set design. Although the clothes are a bit 60′s, [...]