i know after such a long hiatus that i should be posting baby pictures, but i’m holding off on sharing my story and all of that fun stuff until next week. i’ve mostly been laying on the couch and cuddling my new baby boy, but as soon as i finally found myself back on the internet, this magical little discovery fell on my lap. i really wish storq had been around during my pregnancy! this new san francisco-based online shop was created with the idea of simplifying maternity wear. and after 9 months of pregnancy and a long recovery time, i can now say that i really appreciate this bare bones concept. dressing my belly was fun at first, but as the months wore on and i found myself in the third trimester, it sort of lost its luster. the last few weeks of pregnancy were spent mostly in pajamas indoors with quick outfit changes for short outings. i literally went on a target run and bought four pairs of leggings to wear around the house. and post-pregnancy, i’m still wearing really simple combos similar to the offerings at storq: plain t-shirts and breton stripe tees, a black jersey pencil skirt from asos, a black pullover dress i picked up at gap, and even leggings (but only around the house). so i got a little giddy when i saw the selection of products on the site! exactly the type of basics that you can layer with your own outerwear and accessories so that you can feel somewhat human (and a fashionable one at that!) as your body goes through the ringer.
Tag Archives | maternity
today i’m excited to announce my latest giveaway courtesy of seychelles footwear! i’ve long been a fan of the brand, so i was over the moon when they asked me to participate in their #yearofseychelles giveaway. for the next 12 days, 12 bloggers (including me) will be offering you 12 chances to win 12 pairs of shoes in the new year! you can click here to see the full schedule so you don’t miss out on every opportunity to win. for today, i’m trying out a new tool, so check out the directions below!
to enter: simply visit seychelles and tell us which pair of shoes is your current favorite using the form above.
bonus: win extra entries by liking seychelles on facebook and twitter using the form above.
the fine print: this contest is open to international readers, so anyone can enter. a winner will be randomly selected after saturday, december 21st. you can enter 12 times on all of the participating blogs to increase your odds. seychelles will then compile all of the winners and choose one lucky gal on saturday, january 4 to win 12 pairs of shoes in 2014!
…of the sartorial variety, of course! had fun in a pretty simple and casual look this weekend for a little bit of window shopping and a whole lot of relaxing. i picked up this skirt and a few others like it on my trip to st. louis with a $25 gift card from savers since i figured it would come in handy when most of my other clothes no longer fit. it’s got a nice comfy elastic waist band with pleats so it expands to fit my enormous bump, and while normal tops no longer cut it, this little cropped number is still working quite well with all of my high rise skirts. it’s a nice combination for these last weeks and will also come in handy once this baby finally gets here!!!
i also finally trimmed my hair up. it had been so long that the ends were getting pretty damaged and i kept getting ratty tangles at the nape of my neck. and since i figured it might be a long while before i make it back to the salon, i decided i might as well cut my bangs short, resulting in some pretty saccharine doll hairs. which i kind of love.
wearing: whit top, vintage skirt and vintage woven leather flats courtesy of savers thrift stores, vintage coach bucket bag
i look relatively normal until i turn to the side. but this boy is getting big! over 35 weeks along now and kinda praying he opts for an early arrival because this is getting tough! for all of you mothers, how did you make it those last few weeks?!
today i got a request for a few gift ideas for the expectant mother. since i’m sitting here trying to patiently wait for the baby to come in the middle of the holiday season, i may have spent my fair share of time laying on the couch thinking about what kinds of little luxuries would help me get through to the end. so since you’ve asked, here are some suggestions off my very own little wish list. it’s by no means comprehensive, but at this stage in my pregnancy, i can tell you that these types of gifts are pretty much the only thing on my mind.
1. hatch-to-hospital box: i’ve had my eye on this gift box for my entire pregnancy. honestly, it’s the type of gift that would make anyone happy whether pregnant or not. a super soft and stretchy jersey nightgown and robe, cashmere socks, and comfy undies? i want to live in this set and i know it will come in super handy on the big day. trust me when i say that comfort is key. the woes of pregnancy are many, so simple things like this make a world of difference.
2. herbivore botanicals makes some pretty lovely products like this complete spa gift set. the calm sea salts are made with dead sea and himalayan pink salt, scented with ylang ylang and vanilla. and the rose lip balm sounds divine. it’s one of those perfectly superfluous luxuries that makes anyone feel pampered. and it’s easy to forget to pamper yourself when you’re busy nesting and trying to wrap things up at work before going on maternity leave. i’m telling you, it’s the little things!
3. in the same vein, i’m kind of obsessed with the idea of getting myself a luxurious little travel set for the hospital like this aesop jet set kit. no, i am not about to jet off to some glamorous locale, but i wouldn’t mind feeling pampered at the hospital. and i’ve been told that the first bath or shower after giving birth is one of the best experiences ever. might as well make it count!
4. fog linen work slippers. yes, this list is all about maxin’ and relaxin’. i’m gonna need a nice pair of slippers to shuffle around in pre- and post-baby. in fact, who doesn’t like a good pair of house slippers? i’m particularly picky about such things and just can’t see myself in big fuzzy mocs, so this minimalist pair in linen is right up my alley.
5. dyptique candles. ok, they don’t have to be by dyptique, but i am personally infatuated with the crisp, clean scent of these candles, and it has become a daily routine for me to light different scents in different rooms to change the mood around the house and get relaxed. before my pregnancy, i never thought so much about pleasant smells before, but now i am almost obsessed. i know this isn’t the case for everyone: i for one, couldn’t stand most smells for the first four months. but nowadays, i can’t get enough of these!
6. massage and body work. when i discovered my prenatal chiropractor, it changed my world. i go to a place where they specialize in mothers-to-be, and a chiropractic session starts with a massage and ends with an alignment. they are also able to apply the webster technique to move the baby within the womb so that he or she is in optimal birthing position. for me, it has been a godsend because this little dude likes to cram his entire butt underneath my rib cage causing me almost constant discomfort and pain. now my only regret is that i hadn’t been seeing someone sooner. while these services are often covered at least in part by insurance companies, not everyone is so lucky. a gift card to a good spot would certainly mean a lot to a very uncomfortable mama.
7. spa day. another fun option is to invite your bestie on a spa day at a place that is able to accommodate pregnant women. i for one, can’t even reach my feet anymore without a struggle, so having someone massage and pedicure my toes is pretty special. and again, any opportunity to try and relax is not only good for an expectant mom, but also for baby.
oh man you guys, i officially feel like a big old oompa loompa. the doctor pushed my due date up to january 2, which means i’m now over 34 weeks along now! and boy am i feeling it. i have slowed down considerably, and doing normal everyday activities is becoming a thing of the past. thankfully the little guy could be here as soon as christmas (fingers crossed!) and since we’re heading into the holidays, i will finally get some precious time off from work before i officially go on maternity leave. it’s going to be nice to visit with family this week and basically just lay on the couch in sweatpants. but i’m still making an effort to get dressed most days, and this is one of my outfits as of late. separates are starting to take over and comfort is ruling my life more than ever. i am really beginning to see how motherhood has the potential to dramatically change my style.
in other news, i am unintentionally growing out my bangs because i’ve been too lazy to go get a haircut. my friend shannon dean (who has been cutting my hair for the past four years), is now living and working here in los angeles at refuge salon in echo park. he’s trimmed my bangs a few times since i got here, but now i’m just letting it grow wild and free. i’m sure i’ll get myself motivated to go back in pretty soon. the only question is, what do i want to do with it next…
it’s been a little while since i’ve shared an outfit post, so today i thought i’d share a simple weekend outfit i put together for my latest post on refinery29 my stylist. being so far along in my pregnancy means that things have taken a pretty casual turn around here. last weekend, i went out and got a bunch of really comfy basics like sweater dresses and knit skirts in hopes that they’ll hold me over these last few weeks. up until this point, i haven’t had much need for a sweater or a coat in los angeles, but we’re finally getting cool enough temperatures to add just a few layers to our outfits, so i took the opportunity to finally wear this sf-made coat by poppy von frolich. it was handmade in san francisco using sturdy carhart cotton and it is now one of my prized possessions.
i just got back from a very quick weekend trip to san francisco and probably the last trip i will take for some months now that the baby is so close to being here! it was a nice opportunity to visit with a few of my bay area friends and of course, i had a blast hosting an event to celebrate the launch of topshop x nordstrom at the san francisco center. i’ve long been a fan of topshop and have spent many hours browsing through their online shop admiring their cool uk offerings, but i’d never had an opportunity to actually see the clothes in real life here on the west coast, so it’s pretty exciting to see that the retailer has finally expanded into the u.s. market with these cool shop-in-shops as a new permanent fixture in nordstrom department stores and online. and i finally got to try on a few pieces for size, and am drooling over their fall offerings, lots of fuzzy sweaters and soft oversized coats!
i suppose every outfit that i wear now that i’m pregnant can be filed under “maternity style,” but today i’m sharing three looks i put together for my latest post up on refinery29 my stylist sharing a few of the tips i’ve learned about dressing my bump so far. these were all taken at roughly around six months, which is crazy to imagine considering i am now nearing the seven month mark! i try not to talk too much about my pregnancy on here, mostly because it’s a pretty personal experience and things are overwhelming enough without sharing something so private in a public space. and i also doubt anyone wants to hear an expectant mother talk about all of her annoying aches and pains, especially when it is obviously a very exciting time. but let me tell you, the cliches are true, and it is not as easy as it looks! i haven’t even gone through labor yet and i am already pretty impressed with how much of an impact it has had on my mind and body!
for me, one of the things that really helps me to feel good is getting dressed. whenever i feel kinda crappy, whether i’m sick or blue or otherwise feeling low, i always feel the best when i take the time to pamper myself a little bit. throw on a nice red lipstick, play with a new hairstyle, or put on something that gives me a little confidence boost. it kinda helps me to feel better facing the world and dealing with whatever other little annoyances might get in my way. so during this pregnancy, even when my ribs feel like they’re about to crack, or my hips are aching and i feel like i can barely walk, or i’m feeling super self-conscious about how much my body has changed, it’s made a huge difference to just feel pulled together and polished.
if you haven’t seen it yet, i recently published a quick interview on refinery29 with sadie roberts, the sf-based designer behind the new womenswear clothing line tradlands. and to celebrate the occasion, i styled up my very own jones st. buttondown. what i love so much about her collection is that each shirt is carefully constructed with quality materials, just like you would find in some of your favorite menswear shirting, but she has really taken the time to make sure that the cut is made for a woman. and as someone with a small ribcage and large bust, this is always a challenge since i’ll find a shirt that fits every part of my body, but it will still be gaping at the bust! but such is not the case with shirts from tradlands. now that i have one, i kind of wish i could just have a closet full to wear with jeans and cardigans for a very casual sf style. what’s more is that sadie is generously offering 15% off all orders for the next week!
get 15% off your order at tradlands using code “calivintage15″ now through october 22!
wearing: jones st. buttondown courtesy of tradlands , james jeans twiggy maternity jeans, bass wayfarer loafers in karicole, vintage scarf, fieldguided endless summer tote, flowers by alex knost sunglasses courtesy of raen optics, nars jungle red lipstick
today i’m excited to announce my latest giveaway courtesy of lulu*s! i’m sure you’re already familiar with this online destination, but just in case you aren’t, then you’ll be happy to know that you can find everything i’m wearing currently on their site. i’m especially pleased with this suede leather jacket because i’ve been wanting one for years, but have never really found an affordable option that i liked until now. it’s such a perfect basic that i’m sure i’ll be wearing it throughout the season and even for years to come. for this look, i opted to go with a simple plaid dress. and even though i’m already six months pregnant, i still haven’t picked up anything specifically “maternity.” i just size up and i’m good to go… for now!
to enter: simply visit lulu*s and tell us what you would buy if you were the winner!
bonus: follow @lulus on instagram and for an additional entry! simply leave an additional comment in this post once you’ve followed!
the fine print: up to two entries per person. this giveaway is open to international readers, so anyone can enter. winner will be randomly selected and contacted via email after monday, october 21.